According to the Smithsonian Institution Research Information System,
The sculpture commemorates Sequoyah, a Cherokee Indian who originated the Cherokee alphabet. Sequoyah lived at New Echota, the capital of the Cherokee Nation, four miles from Calhoun. The sculpture was originally installed on the lawn of the College Street School in 1913. When the school was torn down in 1974, the sculpture was moved to the New Echota Museum. The sculpture was repaired in 1975 under the auspices of the Gordon County Historical Society. In 1976 the sculpture was relocated to Bicentennial Park on Court Street next to the Calhoun-Gordon Library. The hand and bow were stolen by vandals around 1980. A replacement hand was fashioned by Judd Nelson of Sugar Valley, Georgia. The bow and strings have also been replaced.