The Chapel Bell at the University of Georgia on Flickr.
According to F.N. Boney, a retired history professor who wrote “A Walking Tour of the University of Georgia,”
“a bell tower originally crowned the roof, but in 1913 it was found to be rotten and was removed. The bell, which rang for chapel, for the beginning and end of class, and in emergencies, was placed at the top of a wooden tower at the back of the Chapel. Now the bell is rung only to mark athletic victories or other special occasions.”