Holmes/Hunter Academic Building on Flickr.
The academic building was named in 2001 in honor of the first two African-American students at UGA, Charlayne Hunter (now Hunter-Gault) and the late Hamilton Holmes. According to David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia, the building on the left was built in 1831 as a classroom and library; it was known as the Ivy Building. The building on the right was built in 1862 as a larger library. The two buildings were joined in 1905; the columns were added at this time.